ANTHROPOLOGIE, ethnologie , africa ethnomusicologie
- African Music Archive
- The archive at the Institute of Ethnology and African Studies, Johannes-Gutenberg-University, Mainz, Germany, opened in 1991, has a collection of modern African popular music recordings and videos. The collection includes c.400 East African records, a collection of 716 78rpm records of the Sierra Leone Broadcasting Service. Has a 16 page report by Dr. Wolfgang Bender on the history of the Sierra Leone Broadcasting Service and a history of its 716 recordings from Sierra Leone, Ghana, Zaire, Nigeria and other countries. Has links to numerous other African music, musician, and ethnomusicology sites and information on courses offered. KF http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bender/
- Afrique Francophone
- Much information on Francophone Africa-related web sites and discussion lists. Maintained by Thomas C. Spear, Associate Prof. of French, Lehman College, City Univ. of New York. http://www.lehman.cuny.edu/depts/langlit/french/afrique.html
- The Ants of West Africa
- Covers « Geography & History; Ant Mosaics; Economic Importance of Ants; Biodiversity and Niches; and, Taxonomy » with chapters on Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, and Nigeria. Discusses their role in cocoa plant disease. Has bibliographies, maps, illustrations, tables. By Brian Taylor, Visiting Academic, Department of Life Science, University of Nottingham (UK). In association with Dr. Francis S. Gilbert. [KF] http://research.amnh.org/entomology/social_insects/ants/westafrica/antcover.htm
- Association Philatélique des Collectionneurs de Timbres Poste des Anciennes Colonies Françaises
- In French. Lists some books on Congolese stamps, has a discussion forum. http://www.colfra.com/
- Bastian, Misty L.
- Dr. Bastian is Assistant Professor of Anthropology, Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster, PA. The web site for her course Peoples and Cultures of Africa has information on the Mande, Yoruba, and on Cameroon. http://www.fandm.edu/departments/Anthropology/bastian.html
- Bibliografia Anual de Historia de Portugal
- Citations from the 1990 volume only (includes 1989 citations) of the Bibliografia anual de historia de Portugal: da pre-historia a 1974. Published by the Grupo de Historia da Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Coimbra. Has an African section covering Angola, Guinea-Bissau, Mozambique. [KF] http://www1.ci.uc.pt/bahp/bahp.top.html
- Cahiers Secheresse (Romainville, France)
- In French. Academic journal with full text articles on Agroforesterie, Climatologie, Désertification, Drainage, Eau, Énergie, Foresterie, Gestion de l’eau, Homme et climat, Hydrologie, Hydrogéologie, Hydraulique, Irrigation, Météorologie, Production végétale, Télédétection and other topics. Covers North, West, Central Africa. Pub. by l’Agence universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF) and John Libbey – Eurotext. http://www.aupelf-uref.org/revues/sech/sommfm.htm
- Canary Islands – Canaries, by Sean Newsom
- Information for visitors to the islands. http://www.canarias.com/
- Reuters and AP wire stories on Algeria, Libya, Tunisia. Usenet newsgroup created November 1995.
- Reuters and AP wire stories on West African countries, includes also Congo-Brazzaville, Zaire, and Angola. Usenet newsgroup created November 1995.
- Committee to Protect Journalists
- Based in New York city, is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization which does not accept govt. funding. Contains « Clampdown in Addis: Ethiopia’s Journalists at Risk » (1996?). Has a searchable Press Freedom database of attacks on the press in Africa and elsewhere, documented by CPJ since 1993. http://www.cpj.org
Contact for Africa – Kakuna Kerina: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A discussion list and web site on the « musical culture of West Africa. Emphasis is upon the countries of Mali, Burkina Faso, Guinea, and Côte d’Ivoire. » Site offers videos, books, CDs for sale, has past messages, and a directory of teachers and master drummers. http://www.drums.org/djembefaq/index.htm
- ECOWAS, Economic Community of West African States
- In English and French. Regional organization to promote economic integration. Members are Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Togo. Has many full text official documents, the Treaty, communiques, reports, etc. Headquarters in Abuja, Nigeria with offices in Lagos and Lome. http://www.cedeao.org/
- Institut de recherche pour le développement (Paris)
- In French. « L’IRD est un établissement public à caractère scientifique et technologique, placé sous la tutelle des [French] ministres chargés de la Recherche et de la Coopération. Depuis cinquante ans [formerly ORSTOM], il conduit des recherches sur les milieux intertropicaux. » Has offices in Africa. Has a journal citation database, HORIZON, photo images in their INDIGO database, a database of the map library holdings (maps from the early 1900s), database of mosquito viruses, a database of fish, the Observatoire de la Pêche dans le Delta Intérieur du Niger (Mali). http://www.ird.fr/
- Institut fondamental d’Afrique Noire, Cheikh Anta Diop, IFAN
- A research institute covering the natural and social sciences, part of the Universite Cheikh Anta Diop, Dakar. Founded in 1936 as a West African regional research institute. Lists its departments, a brief description of its publications. [KF] http://www.refer.fr/sngal_ct/rec/ifan/
- Institut francophone des nouvelles technologies de l’information et de la formation (INTIF)
- In French. Large directory of resources concerning Francophone Africa and France. Includes discussion lists, Actes des réunions des instances de la Francophonie (1969 – mai 1997), Inforoutes et technologies de l’information, education, youth, culture et communication, economie et développement, etc. Part of l’Agence intergouvernementale de la Francophonie. http://intif.francophonie.org/
- International Boundaries Reseach Unit, University of Durham
- Founded 1989 at the Univ. of Durham (UK). One of its most useful features is a keyword searchable News Database which retrieves articles from the BBC Summary of World Broadcasts, West Africa, Keesings, and other sources. One can also do keyword searches of messages posted to their email discussion list, Int-Boundaries. Has « Summary of National Maritime Claims » (Jan. 1996) which includes African countries, the tables of contents for their Boundary & Security Bulletin (1993-1996, V. 1-3) and links to related net resources. [KF]
- IRIN West Africa
- A free reporting service, by e-mail, covering humanitarian issues in West Africa. In French and English. From the United Nations, Integrated Regional Information Network for West Africa (Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs). To subscribe, send a request with the following information to:
– Full Name and position
– Agency and its originating country
– Current country of residence / duty stationSpecify which list(s) you are interested in:
irin-wa-weekly (IRIN-WA weekly and special feature reports)
irin-wa-updates (IRIN-WA daily/weekly/special reports)
irin-wa-extra (non-IRIN reports and press releases on West Africa ie :
NGOs, UN, etc..)
- Jaghbub Font Package (Yoruba on a Mac)
- Fonts designed for typing Arabic on a Macintosh; but they can also be used to type Yoruba on a Mac. From the Univ. of Bergen (Norway) Centre for Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies. http://www.hf.uib.no/smi/files/files.html
- Kaplan, Robert D., « The Coming Anarchy »
- Subtitle: « How scarcity, crime, overpopulation, tribalism, and disease are rapidly destroying the social fabric of our planet. » Full-text of the article from The Atlantic Monthly, February 1994. Uses examples from West Africa (Sierra Leone, Cote d’Ivoire, Guinea) and other countries. http://www.theatlantic.com/election/connection/foreign/anarcf.htm
- Knight, Richard
- Consultant on Africa, Human Rights, Economic Justice, Corporate Responsibility. Mr. Knight worked for many years at the American Committee on Africa (ACOA). The site has documents about the U.S. anti-apartheid campaign, the Western Sahara, and the debt cancellation campaign for Africa. http://richardknight.homestead.com/
- Adrie Kraaij – Africa Trip
- Kraaij sold his house, quit his job and is traveling thru Morocco, Mauritania, Senegal, Gambia, Guinea Bissau, Guinea, and Mali, Dec. 1996-April 1997, with a laptop and digital camera. Site is in Dutch and gives an account with photos of his trip http://www.xs4all.nl/~adriekr/
- Ladzekpo, C. K. – African Music and Dance
- Page of the California-based musician/dancer/teacher, director of the Congolese dance company Fua Dia Congo. Includes Sacred rituals of the
Ewe people of Ghana, Togo, and Benin. Photographs, audio clips, preview of a forthcoming cd-rom. http://www.cnmat.berkeley.edu/~ladzekpo/index.html
- Library of Congress Country/Area Studies Handbooks
- Has most of the full-text of the Army Area Handbooks long used as basic reference sources. Information on the history, society, economy, politics, national security of each country. Covers Ghana, Ivory Coast, Mauritania, Nigeria. One can search across all countries or any combination of countries and browse the table of contents for a specific country. http://lcweb2.loc.gov/frd/cs/cshome.html#toc/
- Mande Studies (Madison, Wisconsin)
- Journal of the Mande Studies Association (MANSA), a multidisplinary group with interests in the Mande region of West Africa. Has the table of contents. MANSA also publishes a print newsletter. http://uweb.txstate.edu/anthropology/mansa/
- Maps.com (Santa Barbara, California)
- Sells country maps, city maps of Dakar, Johannesburg, Mogadishu, a Somali clan map, etc. Has a free map club. Formerly Magellan Geographix. http://www.maps.com
- Mathaba Network – United States of Africa
- Information on Libya, a BBC video about bombing of a Sudan school, account by Louis Istvan Szondy, a British and Australian citizen, of torture and detention in the Sudan, the Western Sahara situation, plus a vareity of human rights sites (not annotated). Based in London. http://www.mathaba.net/index1.htm
- Organisation internationale de la Francophonie (formerly Agence de la Francophonie)
- Former ACCT, is an inter-governmental organization for French-speaking countries created in Niamey in 1970 by Leopold S. Senghor, Habib Bourguiba, and Hamani Diori. Extensive site with news about Francophone African countries, French – African relations. http://www.francophonie.org
- Oware! National Game of Africa
- Software program and 200 page book (history, cultural significance), to play oware (wari), a game popular in West Africa. For adults and children grade 4 and higher. Requires an IBM compatible computer. From Sapient Software based in Bolinas, Calif.. http://www.svn.net/rkovach/oware/
- Photo Africa West
- P.A. W. is an organisation set up to « provide positive and authentic images of life and art in West Africa. » Photographers are Michael Pennie and Marc Van Lengen. Copies of images can be ordered. Books by Michael Pennie are available for purchase. [former url: http://www.photoafricawest.org/%5D [KF] http://www.btinternet.com/~michael.pennie/
- Public Broadcasting Corporation – Jim Lehrer News Hour
- Has transcripts of the TV broadcast stories from 1995-1996 on Liberia, Nigeria. For those with sound cards has a RealAudio version as well. Has a keyword search facility for the entire site which can retrieve, for example, Warren Christopher’s interview on Liberia.
- Saharan Studies Association
- The Saharan Studies Association is an international group of scholars associated with the African Studies Assoc. of the U.S. The full text of the Newsletters from Vol. 1, No. 1, 1993 to date are online, in Adobe pdf. Topics include archaeology, Arabic manuscripts, slavery, Muslims and colonial rule. The Newsletter editor is David Gutelius. Projects include manuscript preservation in Mali and the African diaspora in North Africa and the Middle East in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. http://www.ssa.sri.com/
- Sao Tome e Principe – Portugalnet
- Has a discussion list, in Portuguese, on Sao Tome e Principe (using a web form) at – http://www.portugalnet.pt/encontro/s_tome_p/wwwboard/wwwboard.html
Also links to related information.
- Small Arms Survey – « Armed and Aimless: Armed Groups, Guns, and Human Security in the ECOWAS Region »
- Full text of the book, in English and French. 412 p. Maps, bibliographies. Edited by Nicolas Florquin and Eric G. Berman. « detailed information on more than 35 armed groups that have destabilized West Africa since 1998″ « The Small Arms Survey is an independent research project located at the Graduate Institute of International Studies, Geneva, Switzerland. » Also available from Reliefweb in English in (very large file!) PDF. http://www.smallarmssurvey.org/files/sas/publications/b_series1.html and http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/rwb.nsf/db900SID/AMMF-6Q3GDN?OpenDocumentIncludes – Nigeria (oil producing states, Christian-Muslim conflict), northern Mali (Tuareg-Arab, Al-Qaeda influence), Ghana (gun manufacturing), Liberia, Guinea (refugees from Liberia, Sierra Leone, Cote d’Ivoire), Mano River Union (child soldiers in Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone), Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Niger, Senegal (Casamance), Sierra Leone, Togo.
- Union Économique et Monétaire Ouest Africaine, UEMOA
- In French. « a été créée par le Traité signé à Dakar le 10 janvier 1994 par les Chefs d’Etat et de Gouvernement des sept pays de l’Afrique de l’Ouest ayant en commun l’usage d’une monnaie commune, le F CFA. » Members are Bénin, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Guinée Bissau, Mali, Niger, Sénégal, Togo. Press releases, official statements, documents such as « Indice Harmonisé des Prix à la Consommation du mois d’avril 2004 ) » and « Communiqué final de la réunion des Ministres en charge de la Promotion de la Femme des États membres… » Based in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. [KF] http://www.uemoa.int/
- U.S. Congress
- Thomas, U.S. Legislative Information, is a great resource. Keyword search access to the full text of the U.S. CONGRESSIONAL RECORD (similar to parliamentary proceedings or debates) for the 103rd, 104th, and the 105th Congresses and to Congressional legislation. Also has links to the Senate and House sites such as the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations. http://thomas.loc.gov/
- L’Universite Cheikh Anta Diop
- L »UCAD was formerly the University of Dakar. Page briefly describes the academic program, affiliated research institutes, the professional schools, the university library. One can retrieve citations to theses completed at the University up to 1986 through a keyword search form. Pages are under construction. KF
Main page: http://www.refer.fr/sngal_ct/edu/ucad/ucad.htm
- Univ. of Pennsylvania African Country Pages and Search Engine
- Maps, an embassy directory, travel, language information, etc. for each African country have been created by Julie Sisskind and are now maintained by Ali Dinar. UPenn has a search facility where one can input keywords to receive information found on their very large web site.
- Virtual Institute of Mambila Studies
- The Institute « seeks to collate and connect …researchers with an interest in the Mambila people of the Nigeria-Cameroon borderland and their neighbours… » « …research is primarily of an anthropological and linguistic nature… » The site has reports on David Zeitlyn’s research on kinship and language and his annotated version of C. K. Meek’s early ethnological work in the region, and Bruce Connell’s comparative study of Mambila dialects. There is a bibliography of anthropological, linguistic, and related research on Mambila. The site has a short story by Jonathan W. Mangbon, (from Mambila L.G.A.) « Drink and the Innocent Policeman » and the History and Customs of Ntem by P. M. Kaberry and E. M. Chilver. The site was established by Zeitlyn and Connell. http://lucy.ukc.ac.uk/dz/
- West Africa Newsletter
- E-newsletter reporting on human rights, democracy and development news and networking. Produced and emailed free of charged by the International Center, Washington, D.C. and Liberia Institute of Journalism, Monrovia, Liberia. This project is funded by a grant from the International Center to Liberia Institute of Journalism. http://www.kabissa.org/lijTo subscribe or stop subscriptions, please place « subscribe or unscribe West Africa Newsletter, in the subject heading and email to LIJ72@HOTMAIL.COM or LIJ@KABISSA.ORG
- West Africa Rice Development Association, WARDA
- Directory information (address, phone, telex, cable, fax, email) for its offices in Cote d’Ivoire and for its regional offices. Improves « rice varieties and production methods among smallholder farm families…. » http://www.worldbank.org/html/cgiar/directory/WARDA.html
- West African Arabic Manuscript Database
- A bi-lingual union catalog of records for over 20,000 Arabic manuscripts from West Africa. Find citations by authors, nicknames, titles, subjects. Includes manuscripts from Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Northern Nigeria and from collections in Paris and Northwestern Univ. The documents represent « the literary activity of Muslim literati in the Sahel region during the approximately 150 years prior to colonial conquest. » Charles C. Stewart, Professor, Department of History, University of Illinois, Champaign is General Editor. [KF] http://www.arabic.uiuc.edu/
- West African Enterprise Network, WAEN
- In English and French. Launched in 1993. Promotes cross-border trade / investment. Comprised of over 300 business people from Benin, Burkina Faso, Chad, Cote d’Ivoire,Gambia, Ghana,Guinea, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Togo. Has a directory of member businesses, an e-mail directory, business opportunities. Based in Accra, Ghana. WAEN is part of the African Enterprise Network. [KF] http://www.waen.net
- West African Institute for Financial and Economic Management, WAIFEM
- « a sub-regional training institute whose principal objective is to build capacity for dept, macroeconomic and financial management in its constituent countries. » Established by the Central Banks of The Gambia, Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone. Based in Lagos, Nigeria. [KF] http://www.waifem.org/
- West African Research Association
- Founded in 1989, to enhance collaborative research and scholarly exchange between U.S. and West African scholars, educators, and institutions. WARA’s US offices are at the African Studies Center of Boston University. Its overseas headquarters, the West African Research Center (WARC) opened in 1993 in Dakar, Senegal. WARC offers a range of services to researchers and scholars visiting from the US and from the subregion, as well as to local scholars, and provides a rich venue for scholarly exchange. http://www.africa.ufl.edu/WARA/
- Western Sahara – ARSO, Association pour un referendum libre et regulier au sahara occidental. Association for a Free and Fair Referendum in Western Sahara
- ARSO is an NGO in Switzerland concerned with the decolonization of Western Sahara (former Spanish Sahara), the UN referendum, human rights violations, Saharawi refugees in Algeria, etc. Contact: E. Martinoli – email@example.com
- Western Sahara News – E-Mail Group
- News, new publications information provided by (A R S O) Association de soutien a un referendum libre et regulier au Sahara Occidental. http://www.egroups.com/list/western-sahara-news/
- Western Sahara – One World site
- On the One World site. Information on history, people, primary schools in the refugee camps of Western Saharans seeking independence. http://www.oneworld.org/guides/sahara/index.html
- Western Sahara Online
- Reports, analysis, major battles, detailed chronology, human rights issues from Amnesty and other reports, recent journal articles, news, bibliography, landmines, related sites. Based in Baltimore, Maryland. [KF] http://www.wsahara.net/
- White Cliffs Media
- Established in 1985, provides books, CDs, videos and audio cassettes on drum and dance music from the Ewe (Ghana and Togo), the Damba festival music of northern Ghana, Mandiani drum and dance from Senegal, xylophone music from Ghana, etc. http://www.ethnomusicology.com/
- Zunes, Stephen – « Morocco and Western Sahara »
- Full text article from In Focus Policy Briefs, Volume 3, Number 42, December 1998 published by Foreign Policy in Focus, Albuquerque, NM. Stephen Zunes is an Assistant Professor of Politics at the University of San Francisco. [KF] http://www.foreignpolicy-infocus.org/briefs/vol3/v3n42mor.html
The British Library Sound Archive: online resources
This page provides links to other sound archives in the UK and overseas, relevant industry organisations in the UK and overseas, and sites dealing in the history of sound recording. The links are collected into the following categories:
Links to specialist sites are included in the collection pages of the Sound Archive website.
Association of Independent Music (AIM) a non-profit-making trade organisation for independent record companies and distributors in the UK.
British Phonographic Industry trade association including all four ‘major’ record companies, independent music companies, and associate members such as manufacturers and distributors.
Mechanical-Copyright Protection Society collects and distributes the mechanical royalties which are generated by the recording of music onto different formats.
Performing Right Society administers the performing rights in copyright music on behalf of composers and music publishers both British and foreign.
Association for Recorded Sound Collections, Inc (ARSC) a non-profit organization dedicated to research, study, publication, and information exchange surrounding all aspects of recordings and recorded sound.
European Union audiovisual policy.
International Association of Sound Archives (IASA) a non-governmental organisation affiliated to UNESCO. Functions as a medium for international cooperation between archives which preserve recorded sound and audiovisual documents.
International Federation of the Phonographic Industry representing the international recording industry, with a membership of 1400 record producers and distributors in 76 countries.
Unesco Archives portal an international gateway to information for archivists and archive users.
Canadian Antique Phonograph Society covers all aspects of the history of sound recording with particular emphasis placed on the history of recorded sound in Canada. Subscription details for the journal ‘Antique Phonograph News’.
Care and Handling of Recorded Sound Materials article by Gilles St-Laurent, National Library Of Canada.
City of London Phonograph and Gramophone Society dedicated to the study and conservation of all the historical formats of recordings made and of the machines which played them. Membership details including subscription to the journal For the record.
Early Recorded Sounds and Wax Cylinders tinfoil.com site dedicated to the preservation of early recorded sounds.
Edison National Historic Site the laboratory created by Edison in West Orange, New Jersey. Official site with photographs, sounds and a virtual tour.
The EMI Group Archive Trust promotes the study of the sound recording industry and possesses a large collection of artefacts and documents.
Helmut Weber’s Gramophone Hobby Page site for 78rpm enthusiasts.
Michigan Antique Phonograph Society membership details and subscriptions to the journal ‘In the Groove’.
Musée des ondes Emile Berliner a Montreal museum dedicated to the sound industry.
Online Antique Phonograph Gallery photo gallery of personal collections of antique phonographs and related items.
Tyrone’s Record and Phonograph Page sounds, pictures, articles and links.
Virtual Gramophone: Canadian Historical Sound Recordings a multimedia web site devoted to the first half-century of recorded sound in Canada.
Virtual Radio and Phono Museum French site by Jean-Luc Fradet.
78rpm Record Home Page articles and links from Gary Herzenstiel.
Antique Phonograph Books books for sale to phonograph collectors.
Audiophile International US-based website offering new, rare, collectible and hard-to-find vinyl records and CDs.
Audiotome US site selling used audio books.
Bill Clark’s 78rpm Record Home Page information, sounds, history, vintage advertisements, labels and services.
Birgit Lotz Verlag International 78rpm mail auctions and discographies
Collectable Records Russian site arranged by label and artist.
Cylinder Archive dedicated to the hobby of collecting phonograph cylinder records.
More Music Collectors Resource Pages designed to make collecting music online a little easier.
Nauck’s Vintage Records international dealers in vintage 78rpm and cylinder phonograph records.
Needletins Ruth Lambert’s collection of gramophone needle tins.
Nipperhead Antique Phonograph Site information, sounds, photographs and links.
Phonograph Ring list of members and links to their websites.
Record Collecting Resources worldwide links from this Finnish site.
Record Collector’s Guild a small community of record collectors interested in the pursuit of knowledge and the acquisition of vinyl records.
Record Finder site dealing with out-of-print vinyl.
Talking Machine online shop specializing in mechanical collectible items.
Vinyl Records UK online shop.
VinylSearcher.com specialists in rare and deleted vinyl from the 1970s to today.